||January 01, 2018
||K-12: Charter Schools
Position: Assistant Principal Start: July 2, 2018
Employment Type: Full-time
KIPP Philadelphia Schools (KPS) is a network of free, public, open-enrollment schools for historically underserved students in Philadelphia, PA. KPS's vision is to achieve its mission at critical mass – a cluster of schools in Philadelphia – thereby reinvigorating public education in this city through the performance of its students and the leadership of its educators. KPS currently operates four schools, and plans to expand to ten schools within the next five years, enrolling 4,400 students each year.
Reporting to the School Leader, the Assistant Principal is responsible for ensuring that the school’s instructional program and learning environment prepares every student for success in college and in life. They will accomplish this by: managing a number of direct reports, including teachers and other staff members; developing those direct reports, and; ensuring the smooth operation of all aspects of the school, creating the optimal learning environment for academic achievement.
Managing Direct Reports
- Ensure all direct reports have clarity on the expectations of their role
- Set performance goals for all direct reports that include metrics to evaluate both practice and outcomes, and align to school and regional goals.
- Regularly observe all direct reports doing their job at a frequency agreed to with his/her school leader
- Regularly meet with all direct reports to provide feedback on his/ her practice, review outcome data, and provide the support needed for him/ her to meet their performance goals at a frequency agreed to with his/her school leader
- Evaluate direct reports against their performance goals, and conduct mid-year and end-of year review meetings
Developing Direct Reports
- Develop his/ her own knowledge and expertise in all aspects of the KIPP Philadelphia Schools instructional design including curriculum, assessment and instructional moves.
- Coach all direct reports through frequent observation, real time feedback and practice sessions.
- Design, lead, and participate in staff professional development, including but not limited to workshops, content teams, data step backs and planning meetings
- Recommend their direct reports for specific externally conducted professional development opportunities, such as ELP, KIPP Foundation Programming, or content-specific workshops and conferences
- Participate in the bi-annual school talent review, making recommendations about the readiness of their direct reports for promotion or additional development.
Ensuring the Smooth Operation of All Aspects of the School
- Model KIPP Philadelphia’s values and beliefs at all times
- Support the implementation of proactive student discipline strategies
- Build strong relationships with students and implement systems that develop the character, knowledge, and skills of all students
- Establish and maintain strong lines of communication with all fellow employees, parents and community partners
- Lead school-wide events and act as school leader when necessary
- Remain on call in the evenings (via school cell phone) to provide student support
- Lead and help execute school initiatives including but not limited to, annual planning for the coming year, implementation of new focus areas, and other duties as assigned by the School Leader
Strong candidates for this position will demonstrate an unwavering focus on student achievement and a record of success. Additional qualifications include:
At least 2 years of teaching experience in a high-performing school environment
- Demonstrated academic results
- Belief that teachers are the primary drivers of student achievement
- Ability to push staff while inspiring them
- Has a high bar for teachers and students
- Has a demonstrated ability to hold people accountable to a high bar
- Ability to problem solve - resilient
- Highly Qualified status as defined by the Pennsylvania Department of Education
- Experience/strength in school leadership positions
- Willingness to work towards Pennsylvania State certification if not currently held
- Commitment to working with underserved students
KIPP Philadelphia Schools prefers the following qualifications:
- Pennsylvania Certification (I or II)
- Masters in Education/Teaching or content area
- School leadership experience
- Experience teaching in an urban school
Salary is competitive with other Charter Management Organizations (CMOs) and commensurate with experience. The school offers a comprehensive benefits package.
KIPP Philadelphia Schools is an equal opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law. To apply, visit www.kippphiladelphia.org/careers
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at TeachingJobs.com.
Job ads copyrighted by TeachingJobs.com -- © 1998-2018