||September 09, 2019
||K-12: Charter Schools
Start Date: Immediate
Location: New Haven, CTDean of College
The Dean of College will ensure 100% college acceptance and matriculation among the
graduates. He/She serves an integral role to the mission of the school, working closely with the principal, leadership team and faculty to increase student awareness about college life, to guide the college search, and to support students through the application process.
This position is an extraordinary opportunity for a leader in college advising and early college awareness.
The right candidate will combine exceptional communication and management skills with capacities for strategic thinking and acute attention to detail. He/she will demonstrate a relentless commitment to excellence and will share AF’s vision of access to and success in top-tier college education for underserved populations.
As a member of the school leadership team, Deans work together to ensure that all students show dramatic student achievement gains and develop strong character skills to help them succeed in college. Reporting to the Principal and Network Director of College, the Dean of College will work with principals and school-based college staff to build and sustain highly effective college initiatives including: early college awareness and skill building for students and their families; enrichment and summer opportunities access; college entrance exam management; college advising
and financial aid application processes; matriculation and transition to college; and alumni support.
The position is based in New Haven, CT.The Dean of College’s responsibilities will include:School-Based Responsibilities
• Manage all school-based college staff: College Counselor, Summer Opportunities coordinator,
and College Readiness Seminar teachers.
• Manage college office budget in tandem with the Director of School Operations
• Participate and contribute to the school leadership team via weekly meetings, summer retreats,
• Conduct weekly team meetings that inform and align to the team’s yearly goals
• Collaborate and ensure sharing of best practices across regions in relation to college counseling,
summer and alumni programming.College Process
• Execute and monitor systems that ensure an efficient and effective college application process;
• Codify and institutionalize all processes, procedures and supporting documents for the college
application process on Better Lesson
• Provide one-on-one college counseling to a caseload of seniors through the admissions cycle
including, but not limited to, creating a college list, writing and revising the personal statement,
advising on financial aid, and making final matriculation decisions.
• Through management of the college counselor, arrange strategic college representative visits to
the high school during the fall application season and market and brand AF high schools to all
national colleges and universities
• Build and maintain relationships with colleges and universities to create partnerships benefiting
both the school and students.
• Edit the annual school profile.Alumni Programming
• Maintain systems for integrating the alumni counseling office including the master calendar,
success toward articulated goals and metrics, and the development of alumni rituals and
• Facilitate/Connect alumni counselor to best practices, partners and resources to ensure a robust
build of the alumni program.
• Coach the alumni counselor in teaching the College Readiness Seminar: Transitions course to all
• Analyze data with alumni counselor and the Network Director of Alumni Programs to make
recommendations for improving AF’s High School programming and alumni support program.Summer Opportunities
• Build and maintain systems for managing summer programs including the master calendar,
success toward articulated goals and metrics and the development of new and continued
• Ensure strategic integration of summer programs benchmarks calendar with the entire school and the College Readiness Seminar curriculum.9-12 College Readiness Seminar Curriculum and Courses
• Oversee & manage the comprehensive 9 through 13 College Readiness Seminar curriculum
including the 9-12 College Readiness Seminar and Transition to College Seminar.
• Instructional coaching and management of all College Readiness Seminar teachers
• Track progress of all college initiatives using Naviance (success planning, career planning and college planning).College Entrance Exams
• Manage and maintain a relationship with the College Board including but not limited to test
dates, score reporting, PSAT & SAT and Advanced Placement tests.
• Oversee and evaluate SAT prep programs both in-house and external partnerships.
• Ensure timely uploading and sharing of test data to inform both college and school practices.
• Evaluate test results to identify possible school-wide intervention strategies.College Going Culture
• Accountable for all college initiatives and the success of those initiatives
• Attend & participate in leadership meetings to ensure college & alumni perspective on schoolwide decisions.
• Coordinate with advisory and grade level team to ensure collaboration and support of college initiatives in the school.
• Ensure operations and academic teams are informed, aligned and supporting the data needs of the college team i.e. transcripts and Naviance, data imports from student information systems.
• Plan and execute targeted, strategic college visits aligned to the 9-12th grade scope and
• Plan and execute Senior Signing Day
College and Alumni Report Card
• Designate owners for each metric in the College and Alumni Report Card
• Manage and track progress to reaching both monthly and end of year goals
• Prepare monthly reports to send to Network Support on monthly metrics and progress to goalsSkills and Characteristics
• Excellent organizational skills and acute attention to detail
• Ability to see multiple projects with many moving parts through from beginning to end
• Strong analytical and writing skills
• Strong focus on results and the flexibility and willingness to do “whatever it takes”
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
• Ability to work autonomously, as well as to take direction
• Exceptionally skilled at analysis, communication, persuasion, and negotiation
• Belief in the Achievement First mission and educational model
• Maturity, humility, strong work-ethic, sense of humor, and “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude
• Solid technical skills and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and NavianceWork ExperienceCollege Advising Experience:
• At least three years of demonstrated success in advising low-income, first generation college
applicants and their families in all phases of the college and financial aid application processes including student admissions to selective colleges and favorable financial packages.
• Track-record of developing early college awareness programs.
• Wide knowledge of East Coast and national colleges including degree programs, opportunity
programs, diversity programs, admissions criteria, defining “fit” for first-generation low income students, as well as familiarity with admissions personnel.
• Track record of participation in and presentation at local, state, and national college admissions counseling events and professional organizations.
• Successfully managed a team to performance metrics
• Successfully coordinated programs, events and college trips
• Applicants should have demonstrated experience developing and codifying systems and proceduresTeaching Experience:
• High School teaching or training experience requiredCompensation
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package.
To apply to this job, click here
Job ads copyrighted by TeachingJobs.com -- © 1998-2019