||September 13, 2021
||K-12: Charter Schools
Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. HVA is the lab school for the Progressive Education Institute.
Join an incredible community of educators who are passionate about progressive pedagogy while embracing a sense of urgency, a strong work ethic, and accountability for student learning. We select individuals who share our vision and are willing to put in the hard work to achieve it.
- Develop and teach highly engaging and academically rigorous science curriculum and lessons aligned with HVA's standards and progressive pedagogical philosophy
- Invest several hours per week in professional learning, including personalized instructional coaching, co-planning, department meetings, grade level meetings, and other learning work
- Build strong, lasting relationships with students, inspiring them to hold themselves to a high standard of academics and character
- Establish and uphold classroom expectations that support students to develop increased agency, responsible autonomy, and ownership over learning
- Analyze assessment data and use it to inform your instruction
- Collaborate with colleagues to share best practices and ensure student mastery of standards
- Maintain close relationships with families through phone calls and conferences
- Contribute to the school community by attending school events and leading a club, reading group, athletic team, or other initiative
- Two years of full-time science teaching required, preferably in grades 6-8
- Experience in a high-need urban school a strong plus
- Commitment to progressive science pedagogy, e.g. using inquiry, experiments, and discussion to help students think like scientists and develop deep conceptual understanding
- Strong track record of student achievement in past teaching
- Ability to create a class environment in which students feel safe, supported, and challenged to engage deeply in meaningful work
- Strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- Unshakeable conviction that all students can learn at a high level
- Highly thoughtful and reflective, committed to always getting smarter with colleagues, reflecting on mistakes, welcoming feedback, and making continual adjustments in your practice
Our team is passionately committed to the vision and values of Harlem Village Academies. The ideal candidate will have a positive mindset, a very strong work ethic, an inner drive for excellence, and will thrive working in an entrepreneurial and results-driven environment.
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job ads copyrighted by TeachingJobs.com -- © 1998-2021