||February 13, 2020
||K-12: Charter Schools
Position: Small Group Special Education Teacher (Functional Learning Skills)
Employment Type: Full-time
KIPP is a national network of free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public schools in educationally underserved communities. Over 100,000 students attend one of the 242 KIPP schools that operate in 31 regions across the United States. KIPP Philadelphia Schools Public Schools (KPPS) is a part of the national KIPP network and currently leads six schools serving approximately 2,400 students in North and West Philadelphia.
Together with families and communities, we create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students to pursue the paths they choose—college, career, and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Teaching & Leading at KPPS
We know that talented, committed, culturally competent teachers and leaders have the power to amplify our children’s potential by creating a school experience that affirms, values, and challenges them each day. We seek to create a professional environment full of joy, candor, care and respect where excellent educators can make a long-term home. Educators at KIPP –
- Embrace new learning via regular 1-1 coaching and professional development
- Work with and alongside peers to tackle challenges, celebrate successes
- Play an active role in shaping and reshaping school and grade-wide practices and systems
- Actively examine the dynamics of identity and power via equity sessions and affinity groups
- Operate with clarity on individual & school-wide goals and their progress toward achieving them
- Embody our core values: Children First, Cultural Competence, Ownership, Community
- Enjoy a competitive, equitable, predictable approach to compensation and 100% employer-paid health benefits for employees and their families
Special Education Responsibilities:
- Ensure that all children feel affirmed, valued and challenged every day
- Create rigorous, engaging unit and daily lesson plans, leveraging provided curricula/resources
- Infuse core values into daily lessons and every school practice, implementing school-wide student culture systems and positive classroom management strategies
- Maintain a productive, organized, safe, neat and focused learning environment
- Regularly analyze student work and academic data to adjust lessons, refine curricula and inform instructional practice
- Provide necessary accommodations and modifications for growth and success of all students
- Maintain accurate student grades/records and strong lines of communication with families regarding students’ growth and progress
- Model and implement all school policies within the classroom
- Serve as a role model for students
- Deliver small-group instruction focused on functional academics and living skills aligned to students’ specific IEP goals, including but not limited to literacy, mathematics, community based instruction, etc.
- Provide case management for Special Education caseload and provide instruction to students receiving special education supports
- Maintain IEPs, 504s, Evaluations, and ELL programs; ensure services are delivered with fidelity
- Lead Child Find efforts and drive intervention and evaluation processes
- Liaison with parents via trainings, meetings, and consultations
- Take ownership for the development of your craft (meet 1x/1-2 weeks with an instructional coach, implement feedback, engage in active practice, etc.)
- Actively engage in all school-wide professional development
- Serve as a positive, contributing member of a grade team, collaborating with colleagues to tackle common challenges and implement grade-wide
- Share candid, solutions-oriented feedback with peers and school leadership on a regular basis
- Embody KPPS core values: Children First, Cultural Competence, Ownership, Community
- Enroll in/complete a teacher certification program (if applicable)
Qualifications & Credentials
- Arrive at school by 7:30 a.m. and stay until 4:00 p.m. Mon, Tue, Thurs, Friday and 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday for Professional Development
- Attend designated school functions outside of school hours (Back to School Night, Report Card Conferences, Community Events, etc.)
- Contribute to the planning and execution of all school-wide events
- Develop strong relationships with the families of students through home visits, participation in school events and phone calls home
- Perform necessary support duties including (but not limited to) bus, lunch, and dismissal duties
- Chaperone field lessons/field trips
- Additional responsibilities may arise during the school year. They will be communicated to all employees with as much notice and flexibility as possible.
- Love and see the high potential of all children
- Demonstrated ability to support students in achieving IEP goals
- Passion for subject/content area and demonstrated commitment to professional learning
- Demonstrated ability to contribute positively to a school team
- 2+ years of full-time teaching experience (outside of substitute teaching) in an urban setting
- Bachelor’s degree
Pennsylvania State certification Level I or II preferred. If uncertified, must be –
- committed to working toward certification by enrolling in a PA-approved certification program within one year
- able to submit transcripts upon hire (required for emergency permit application)
- Complete all required criminal and child abuse background checks:
- PA State Police Clearance
- PA Child Abuse Clearance
- Cogent Federal Fingerprinting
- ACT 168
- Teacher salaries at KPPS are competitive, equitable, and predictable.
- Teachers enjoy a comprehensive, 100% employer-paid benefits package.
- Uncertified teachers have access to $2500 in tuition reimbursement to pursue certification.
KIPP Philadelphia Schools is an equal opportunity employer. Employees are selected on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.
To apply, visit http://kippphiladelphia.org/join-our-team/apply-now/
To apply to this job, click here
Job ads copyrighted by TeachingJobs.com -- © 1998-2020