|Date Posted||August 04, 2022|
|Industry||K-12: Charter Schools|
|Job Status||Not Specified|
Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban school district based on the ideals and tenets of progressive education. HVA is the demonstration site for the Progressive Education Institute.
Harlem Village Academies High, the only IB Diploma Programme school in Harlem, is seeking engaging and experienced applicants to teach in the school’s expanding IB For All program. Every student at HVAH is on-track to participate in five or more IB classes, as we work to prepare all our Juniors and Seniors to become full-IB diploma candidates. Join this experienced and successful IB team!
The IB Theory of Knowledge (ToK) teacher is an experienced, reflective practitioner who uses an inquiry-based approach within the IB framework to create positive learning environments that motivate and challenge learners to become self-regulated leaders and independent thinkers. They will teach 11th grade ToK (IB) in addition to 10th grade ELA. Salary range for this position is $62,000 - $104,000 and is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Final salary may be adjusted based on experience and qualifications. HVA is committed to providing our team with a range of benefit offerings at a competitive value.
- Create a classroom environment that encourages a personal appreciation of literature and develops an understanding of the techniques involved in literary criticism.
- Develop students’ powers of expression, both in oral and written communication, and provide opportunities for the practicing and developing of the skills involved in writing and speaking in a variety of contexts.
- Introduce students to a range of literary works of different periods, genres, styles, and contexts, leading to an understanding of the relationships between different works across periods of time.
- Cultivate students’ ability to engage in close, detailed analysis of written texts, as well as an enjoyment of, and lifelong interest in, literature.
- In designing your curriculum, align lesson plans with both academically rigorous IB benchmarks and HVA’s progressive pedagogical model.
- Invest several hours per week in professional learning and lesson planning, including personalized instructional coaching, co-planning, department meetings, and grade level meetings.
- Collaborate with colleagues to share best practices and ensure student mastery of standards. Analyze assessment data and use it to inform your instruction.
- At least two years of teaching experience in grades 7-12, preferred
- Experience teaching, or knowledge of, IB English curricula, required
- A commitment to developing progressive pedagogy
- A strong track record of and sense of accountability for student achievement
- An unshakeable conviction that all students can learn at a high level
Our team is passionately committed to the vision and values of Harlem Village Academies. The ideal candidate will have a positive mindset, a very strong work ethic, an inner drive for excellence and will thrive working in an entrepreneurial and results-driven environment.
Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.