Special Ed Paraprofessional ~ Generalist
Stuart Middle School/27J Schools
Commerce City, Colorado
|Date Posted||January 23, 2023|
|Industry||K-12: Public Schools|
|Required Education||High School Diploma|
|Salary||$16.65 - $20.54 per hour|
DESCRIPTION: Provide support for students with moderate disabilities in special and general education classes, including modifications of materials, consultation with teachers, and direct instruction. Collect data and maintain student records, supervise students during, before, and after school for safety; and assist with transportation.
SALARY: Classified Grade I, $16.65 - $20.54 per hour to start, depending on relevant experience. 7.5 hours per day, Tuesday through Friday, 9 month work schedule, paid over 12 months. Position is eligible for benefits.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide direct instruction and/or academic support and supervision for students with disabilities in accordance with their Individualized Education Plan (IEP) while in general education and special education classrooms.
- Modify academic materials under direction from the general and/or Special Education teachers and assist with the delivery of instruction.
- Identify and facilitate peer relationships and natural supports (assessments).
- Follow through with prescribed behavior intervention plans throughout the school and community and during extra-curricular activities, including monitoring of the playground, or other school areas to ensure safety and security of students.
- Maintain required forms and records as requested by the Special Education Teacher and/or Related Services Providers.
- De-escalate students as needed using approved CPI measures, as well as following the prescribed Behavior Intervention Plan.
- Consult with general education teachers regarding best practice in special education.
- Assist students on occasion, as directed by Special Education Teacher, with special needs including, toileting, eating, positioning and alternative communication.
- Communicate observations, concerns, activities, and progress with the Special Education Teacher and other Therapist or Specialists.
- Assist both Special Education and General Education teachers with minor clerical duties are needed
- Attend trainings as required by Building Principal, Special Education Teacher and/or Director of Special Education.
- Attend student staffings as requested by Special Education Teacher and/or Related Services Providers.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as Behavior Plans, IEPs, staff and student handbooks.
- Ability to collect data, write routine reports and simple correspondences.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from general or special education teachers and related services providers.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Bilingual skills (English/Spanish) preferred.
- CPR and First Aid certification preferred, but not required for this position.
- Experience working with students with disabilities preferred but not required.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Must be able to pass a post offer, pre-employment physical.
- Must be able to pass a Colorado and Federal Bureau of Investigation background check.
- Experience working with students with disabilities preferred, but not required.
Please Note: All posted vacancies in the District close at 4:00 p.m. Mouintain Time.
All future correspondence regarding this position will be handled via the email address that you provide on your online application. Please regularly check both your In-Box and SPAM folder for these email messages.
Non-Discrimination Notice/Link Non-Discrimination Notice
In compliance with Titles VI & VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008, and Colorado law, 27J Schools does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, creed, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or need for special education services in admissions, access to, treatment, or employment.