|Date Posted||March 18, 2023|
|Industry||K-12: Charter Schools|
Excel Academy was founded in 2003 with the mission to provide a high-quality education to students in East Boston and Chelsea Massachusetts, communities that are predominantly low-income and Latinx and historically have faced significant social and educational barriers. Our success in Massachusetts is proof that the opportunity gap can be closed. At Excel Academy Charter Schools, we believe that when a student has the support and tools to pursue a productive post-secondary pathway aligned to their personal identity and values, it can fundamentally change their life trajectory.
Over the years, we have grown from one middle school to a network of four schools with 1,400 students in grades 5 to 12. In the fall of 2022 we will welcome a founding class of 5th graders to help us launch Excel Academy Rhode Island. By 2032, Excel Rhode Island will run 4 schools serving over 2,100 students from Providence, Central Falls, and North Providence.
We present our students with educational experiences that allow them to grow and discover their best selves so that when they leave our halls, they can successfully navigate all of the post-secondary options available to them. You can read more about the impact of the Excel Academy model.
At Excel Academy we learn from our students, families, and staff and make improvements. We have increasingly adapted to provide a holistic education that values our community as collaborators in the learning process, social-emotional support, equity for diverse learners, and fosters identity development. We prioritize an approach that is both rigorous and inclusive. Our team of passionate, intelligent, driven, and loving staff are at the core of the work we do.
About the Role
Excel Academy teachers are responsible for delivering effective, high-quality, rigorous instruction designed to foster the success of their students. Teachers who thrive at Excel tend to be entrepreneurial instructors and hungry learners who crave frequent, high-quality feedback on their practice. They also have a great deal of passion and expertise in their content area that they are eager to share with students. They prioritize an approach that is both rigorous and inclusive.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Teach Physical Education to our 5th and 6th grade students;
- Create a safe learning environment for all students by implementing Excel’s strategies and best practices with consistency;
- Provide coverage as needed during non-instructional time;
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel Academy community; and
- Do whatever it takes to ensure the mission of the school is upheld.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Understand how your identity markers (including race, class, and gender) impact your leadership;
- Demonstrate understanding and respect for the cultures and languages of our communities;
- Solicit and welcome collaboration and feedback from colleagues, students, families and the surrounding community;
- Understand the impact of historical and structural racism and use this lens in your decision-making; and
- Take action to demonstrate personal reflections and growth/be responsive to feedback and lessons learned.
- A bachelor’s degree is required; a master’s degree is preferred;
- Rhode Island certified or in the process of obtaining certification. You can learn more here:
- A commitment to and belief in all students and the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- A commitment to addressing racial and economic inequity in education;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work;
- An openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in receiving feedback for continuous improvement; and
- And can speak to their personal investment and commitment to antiracist education and diversity, equity, and inclusion in our school community and beyond.
Preference will be given to applicants who also:
- Have experience in a public or charter school setting, and
- Speak Spanish, Haitian Creole, Khmer, and Vietnamese.
Excel Academy Charter Schools is committed to its work as an anti-racist organization. One critical element of that commitment is building and empowering a diverse staff that reflects the community that we serve. We strongly encourage applications from candidates whose experiences share important points of intersection with those of our students. Staff who demonstrate fluency in Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic (languages spoken widely by our diverse community of families) will receive additional compensation, as will staff who are alumni of our schools.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.