|Date Posted||November 19, 2023|
|Industry||K-12: Charter Schools|
|Job Status||Not Specified|
About KIPP Public Schools Northern California
We are a thriving nonprofit network of free public charter schools open to all students. At KIPP, we believe all children should grow up free to create the future they want for themselves and that schools can and should be a critical factor in making that vision a reality. Together with families and communities, we create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose—college, career, and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Our student community consists of over 6,000 elementary, middle, and high school students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, Redwood City, and Stockton. 79% qualify for free or reduced price lunch, 23% are English language learners, and 10% have special needs. We strive to cultivate a representative team of teachers and leaders that reflect our students’ diversity.
The KIPP Forward (KTC) College & Career Seminar Teachers at our KIPP High Schools are focused on providing one-on-one college and career advising to all students in effort to ensure a strong and strategic postsecondary program match for all students. S/he will report to the Senior Manager of College and Career Counseling at their school site.
The ideal candidate for this position has a background in California college admissions and working with young people from low-income communities. This individual must possess strategic planning skills, as well as outstanding written and verbal communication skills. S/he must have a demonstrated interest in serving low-income students and is dedicated to doing whatever it takes to support our students to and through college & career.
College and Career Access Knowledge and Skills
- Advise and oversee students on the postsecondary program admissions process (wishlist, applications, letters of recommendations, transcript submission, financial aid, etc.) through classroom instruction and regular one-on-one advising sessions, focusing on strong and strategic postsecondary program match and plans
- Meet with students and their family two times a year to support post secondary program planning and matriculation
- Create access to college & career resources and opportunities available to support underrepresented populations
- Knowledge of SAT/ACT registration processes and the impact on college access.
- Maintain constant and consistent communication on the data progress of students with key stakeholders including: KIPP Foundation, College personnel, CBO’s, School and regional leadership, along with students and families
- Utilize various student management platforms to track, progress monitor and submit student data, including, but not limited to Naviance, Google suite, Excel, KIPP Foundation approved tools, etc.
- Responsible for supporting KIPP Freshmen through rigorous and thoughtful lesson planning, lesson execution and classroom management
- Plan, organize and implement an appropriate college knowledge and career success program in a high school learning environment, both in an in-person classroom setting and virtually, that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic and socio-emotional potential.
- Participate on the grade level leadership team
- Other duties as assigned by the School Leader
- Support college counseling department special programming including college visits (overnight or day), financial aid nights, college fairs, college knowledge 101 workshops, and wish list approval nights.
- Foster a supportive and inclusive culture within the classroom.
- Meet all deadlines as required by the high school, KIPP Forward regional team, and KIPP Foundation.
- Participate in weekly College Counseling department meetings
- Support the successful implementation of regional initiatives at the school (college, career & beyond, college partnerships and financial literacy)
- Work effectively with KIPP Forward regional staff including Director, Associate Director of College Match, Associate Director of College Success, and Associate Director of Career Success
- Maintain a collaborative team with consistent communication flow to all key stakeholders and teammates
- Maintain effective relationship with KIPP NorCal external partners including (but not limited to) Accenture, Nepris, and KIPP Foundation
- Participate in and effectively prepare for weekly one-on-one check-ins with your Senior Manager of College and Career Counseling
- Actively collaborate with other counselors at KIPP NorCal
- Attend IEP-Exit meetings for all seniors, providing insight into student’s transition plan and post-secondary goals
- Support the planning and execution of the school’s graduation ceremony
- Attend all school site staff/grade level meetings and professional development workshops
- Participate in school-wide supervision as a member of the staff and facilitate a daily student advisory class
All KIPP Teachers must…
- Model KIPP values
- Be committed to being an anti-racist educator
- Believe all students can achieve at the highest academic levels
- Possess strong content area knowledge and skills building relationships with students, families, and communities
- Teach in our extended day and year schedule (click here to learn more about a day in the life of a KIPP student)
- Contribute to a relentless and dedicated team of outstanding professionals
- Communicate well with students, families, and colleagues
- Have proficient knowledge of Google Suite applications (Google Classroom, Hangout, Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.)
- Have the ability to learn and utilize instructional technology to support in-class and distance learning (i.e. Zoom, Nearpod)
- Hold a B.A/B.S degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Hold a valid California Preliminary Credential (in any subject), a Pupil Personnel Services Credential, OR an equivalent out-of-state credential or license (please click here to learn more).
- Experience as an educator teaching Black and Brown students for one or more years
- 2+ years of College Match/College Admissions Experience (preferably in CA)
- Spanish, Arabic, Vietnamese or Mandarin speaking proficiency
- Project management experience
We are dedicated to you and your family's well-being! KIPP offers a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits.
Questions? Email us at [email protected]
Keywords: Stockton, high school, jobs, hiring, oakland, east bay, california, bay area, san francisco, san jose, peninsula, east palo alto, redwood city, early childhood education, teacher, educator, college readiness, college counselor