|Date Posted||June 20, 2022|
|Industry||K-12: Charter Schools|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
|Salary||The annual salary for a Principal ranges from $115,000 - $151,565, based on experience including a signing bonus of $10,000 to be paid in two installments and is subject to change.|
Principal of Academics
Reports to: Vice President of Schools
Classification: Full-time, Salaried, Exempt
Start Date: July 1, 2022
Location: Los Angeles, CA
We are seeking a talented educational leader with a desire to foster high levels of academic achievement at Alain Leroy Locke College Preparatory Academy. The Principal over academics will be held accountable for delivering student results in line with agreed upon goals with 95% of time spent as an instructional leader: building the capacity in academic assistant principals to execute data meetings, effectively coach teachers and counselors at high levels, and develop high quality professional learning. The Principal over Academics will also build programs that support our at-promise youth. This is an exciting opportunity to accelerate learning outcomes at a historic high school in Watts and co-lead with an experienced leadership team. The Principal of Academics will serve alongside a Principal of Culture, Support and Operations.
ABOUT GREEN DOT
Green Dot Public Schools is a non-profit network of public charter schools helping to transform the public education system so that ALL students graduate prepared for college, leadership, and life. Our schools are founded on an unwavering belief in the potential of all students, and there are four key elements to our school model that help us unlock the inherent potential in every student we serve: quality teaching and instruction, a college-going culture, a focus on fostering leadership and life skills, and a focus on eliminating barriers to learning. We have 20 schools and close to 12,000 students across Los Angeles. Our schools are located in some of the most underserved communities that have been denied access to high-quality educational opportunities, and we seek to prove that it is possible to close the access and opportunity gap that exists between low-income students and their more affluent peers.
Part of what differentiates Green Dot is our intense focus on truly serving ALL students; our collaboration with reform-minded unions; and our work focused on large-scale turnarounds of schools formerly run by the districts; and our ability to take on the toughest challenges with the same public funding received by traditional district schools but accomplishing very different results. Green Dot California’s results are undeniable. Nine of our high schools have been ranked among the top schools in the country. We have three California Distinguished schools and 3 California Gold Ribbon schools, and several of our schools have been recipients of the CORE Districts’ Academic Growth Awards, which honor schools having the greatest impact on student achievement. Additionally, Green Dot’s first turnaround, Alain LeRoy Locke College Preparatory Academy, was named Charter School of the Year by the California Charter Schools Association in 2019.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Responsible for master schedule planning and certificated staff assignments
• Supervise and develop Assistant Principals over academics
• Coach and evaluate the performance of teachers and other school employees on their individual development
•Coordinate the curriculum, special education and new teacher support specialists
•Design and coordinate professional learning and departmental collaboration
•Coordinate academic interventions
•Coordinate Instructional Leadership Team and College for Certain initiatives
• Work closely with parents and the community at large
• Accountable for students' overall academic performance
• Available for contact with parents, students and staff to discuss student progress and problems after class, at night or on weekends (via cell phone or in person)
• Maintain work hours extending beyond school hours for other professional duties or functions such as staff meetings, supervision of student events, etc.
• Maintain professional standards and a school environment that is productive, safe and focused
• Participate in Green Dot and individual professional development
• Participate in other events aimed at promoting or developing our organization and schools (e.g., student recruitment)
• You possess a growth mindset and love of learning
• Relay training preferred
• You hold a valid CA Clear Single Subject or Multiple Subject teaching credential or PPS credential in School Counseling (or an equivalent out-of-state credential that is transferable to California)
• You hold a valid CA Administrative credential/Certificate of Eligibility (or an equivalent out-of-state credential which is transferable to California), or are in the process of obtaining one
• You have a minimum of 5 years of teaching or counseling experience at the middle or high school level, with a history of improving student achievement
• You have prior experience as an Assistant Principal, as well as other leadership roles (mentor teacher, department chair, etc.)
• You have proven management and leadership capabilities, as well as team-building skills
• You have experience managing budgets, creating and implementing policies and demonstrated ability in creating and managing systems
• You have excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills
• You have experience working in an entrepreneurial environment
• You have a passion for improving urban middle and high schools and driving education reform
• You are knowledgeable about bilingual education
• You have the ability to establish/foster a positive and safe school culture
• You have experience planning and implementing quality professional development, as well as with coaching teachers
• You have experience strategically engaging stakeholders
• You have experience with conflict resolution
• You have experience in making data-driven decisions
• You have experience and demonstrated ability managing multiple teams and resources
• You have experience creating and monitoring strategic plans
• You are dependable, humble, have a sense of humor and a rock-solid commitment to Green Dot’s mission and the communities we serve
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) is highly desirable
• You will need to pass a TB test and background check at time of offer
• You will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (submission of proof of vaccination will be required)
The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to perform the job.
The annual salary for a Principal ranges from $115,000 - $151,565, based on experience including a signing bonus of $10,000 to be paid in two installments and is subject to change. In addition, we offer a comprehensive benefits plan including (but not limited to) medical, dental, vision, life insurance and STRS participation, as well as the opportunity to impact a growing, mission-driven organization that is committed to the success of all students.
We ask that you complete an online application at http://careers.greendot.org/.
Only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted, and we hire on a rolling basis. We are looking to fill positions for a July 1, 2022 start date.
Green Dot Public Schools has embedded a diversity, equity and inclusion lens in our organizational culture, as well as in our educational and talent practices. We are committed to hiring those who reflect the diversity of our communities, and we recruit, employ, support, compensate and promote employees, without regard to their actual or perceived race, religious creed (including religious dress or grooming practices), color, national origin or ancestry (including native language spoken), physical or mental disability (including HIV or AIDS), medical condition (including cancer or genetic characteristics), genetic information, marital status (including registered domestic partnership status), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender (including gender identity and expression), parental status, age (forty (40) and over), sexual orientation, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, citizenship, immigration status or any other consideration protected by federal, state or local law. Please note that we are unable to sponsor H1-B Visa applicants.